Tuesday 30 November 2010

Have I misplaced my Religion?

Every Thursday I (Abukari) give a 30 minute Gospel message on the regional radio station, covering an area of about one million Dagomba people.

Abukari in the studio

During this broadcast, I explain the message of Jesus in the mother tongue of the Dagomba people. Muslims and animists alike listen in their remote communities and houses. I have a mobile phone number which is dedicated to the radio programme. It is through this number that listeners have the opportunity to ask questions, demand further explanation and give their lives to Christ. Sometimes people use it to attack or insult me. This is what recently happened:

One night I had a call from an old schoolfriend, who used to be a fanatic Muslim. He introduced himself (we had not seen each other for over fifteen years) and said that he wanted to discuss a serious matter with me personally.  Knowing his background and what he was capable of doing – he used to have the nickname ‘general’ - I was a little scared.  However, faith kept me bold and I went ahead to arrange a meeting with him. When we met, I welcomed him with open arms and gave him the opportunity to tell me his mission. He asked me this, ‘Have I misplaced my religion?’ I interrupted him by asking why he thought so. Then he began to narrate, ‘All along I thought I was praying to the true God through Islam, but I now know I was on the wrong path. For over a year now I have had a heavy burden on my heart and I have prayed to Allah to take that burden away and give me peace of mind. I prayed all the different kinds of prayer I know but nothing happened. Last month I decided to protest to Allah by stopping to pray as a Muslim. It was during this period that I heard you on the radio talking about Jesus Christ who calls all who are weary and burdened and promises them rest (Matt. 11:28). That night I struggled to fall asleep but when I finally slept I had a dream about you. You were beckoning me to come to the light. You were reaching out to me with your hand and then I woke up from my dream.’ He put it sharply, ‘this is what I want to discuss with you!’

Initially I was a little bit shocked and surprised but then I gladly explained about salvation in Jesus Christ. I told him to go home and think about it. But like the Ethiopian eunuch, he told me that he was ready to accept Jesus right there and then. I led him to Christ and gave him three booklets from my office to read. A week later he called to say that, one of the books, ‘In Search of Assurance’, was like reading his life story; searching for the truth and finally the conviction that Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life!  Please pray for him as he is looking for a Bible believing church to join.

The regional radio station

Thank God for:
  • The power of the media in sharing the Gospel
  • The many positive responses Abukari receives
  • His protection over our lives

Please pray for:
  • Wisdom in preparing the radio messages
  • This friend and others with him who have decided to become Christians, that they will find the support they need in growing in their faith
  • The many Muslims who are searching for the truth and yearning for peace, that their eyes will be opened
  • Health and strength

No comments: