Saturday 17 December 2011

Common Needs - How best can we help?

Regularly people ask us if we can help them in a variety of ways and each week brings new and different needs to our door. It is not always easy to take the right decision; should we help or not? or should we postpone our help? Although some of the people who come to us we hardly know or have barely met before, we just give them the little help we can, knowing that our assistance will not be very constructive but that it will soften their current situation. Sometimes the requests are for food and sometimes for money to help pay for a hospital bill, school fees or a contribution towards a fund. There are also situations like the one described below which need a little extra attention, where it is no use continuing to give without searching for the real cause of the problem:

"It is still early in the morning and somebody is knocking on the door. A boy (about 14 years old) enters our house. He comes from a village about 12 kms away from Yendi where he visits one of our churches. He is wearing a school uniform. I welcome him, give him some water to drink and ask him the purpose of his visit. He tells me that he is attending Junior High School in Yendi and that he needs 10 Ghana Cedis (about 5 euro) that his parents are supposed to pay as parent's contribution for his schooling. Because the parents have not been able to pay this amount, the boy regularly gets into trouble with his teachers. The boy, Abdul, says that his parents told him to come to our house and that we would help him. I give him the money but am not too happy about the way the parents have referred him to us.

A few days later Abdul visits us again. This time he is not wearing a uniform. He greets me and then tells me that he needs a new uniform but that his parents have no money to buy him one. I ask him about the uniform he was wearing a few days ago. He tells me his teachers have told him the uniform is too old and he needs to replace it. At this time many people are harvesting their crops, so I tell Abdul he should tell his teachers that his parents have no money at the moment, but that after they have finished harvesting and have sold some of their maize he will get a new uniform. But Abdul does not look very happy. He tells me that he walks from his village to Yendi every day (that is 24 kms a day!) and that his parents do not give him any money to buy lunch. I contemplate, is Abdul really telling the truth or are there other problems? But because I do not want anybody to go hungry whilst we have enough to eat, I give him some money to buy lunch for the coming two weeks.


Students ready to go to school - each school has its own uniform

A week or so later, Abdul is back at our house again. It is still early in the morning and he wears his school uniform. He tells me that the school has asked them for a contribution of 2 Ghana Cedis to print the exam papers for the end of this year. I know that this is a common demand from the schools and give him the money otherwise he would not be able to participate in the exams.

This past week, Abdul came to visit us again. He tells me that he has moved to the house of a family member who lives in Yendi so that he does not have such a long walk to school every day. But again he asks for money to buy food. He has to go to school for another four days before they break for Christmas. I give him the money but tell him that I do not think this is the best way to assist him. Abukari and I have talked about Abdul’s situation during this past week. We agree that it is time to visit Abdul’s parents to find out more. Are they taking their responsibility? Are they so hard pressed financially that they cannot even get Abdul food to eat? Abdul has just entered the first year of his secondary school education and still has a long way to go. What are the prospects for his education? And what about the other children they are taking care of? We hope to be able to visit Adbul's parents soon."

1 comment:

Emilio Fernandez said...

Good morning how are you?

My name is Emilio, I am a Spanish boy and I live in a town near to Madrid. I am a very interested person in knowing things so different as the culture, the way of life of the inhabitants of our planet, the fauna, the flora, and the landscapes of all the countries of the world etc. in summary, I am a person that enjoys traveling, learning and respecting people's diversity from all over the world.

I would love to travel and meet in person all the aspects above mentioned, but unfortunately as this is very expensive and my purchasing power is quite small, so I devised a way to travel with the imagination in every corner of our planet. A few years ago I started a collection of letters addressed to me in which my goal was to get at least 1 letter from each country in the world. This modest goal is feasible to reach in the most part of countries, but unfortunately it’s impossible to achieve in other various territories for several reasons, either because they are countries at war, either because they are countries with extreme poverty or because for whatever reason the postal system is not functioning properly.

For all this I would ask you one small favour:
Would you be so kind as to send me a letter by traditional mail from Ghana? I understand perfectly that you think that your blog is not the appropriate place to ask this, and even, is very probably that you ignore my letter, but I would call your attention to the difficulty involved in getting a letter from that country, and also I don’t know anyone neither where to write in Ghana in order to increase my collection. a letter for me is like a little souvenir, like if I have had visited that territory with my imagination and at same time, the arrival of the letters from a country is a sign of peace and normality and a original way to promote a country in the world. My postal address is the following one:

Emilio Fernandez Esteban
Calle Valencia, 39
28903 Getafe (Madrid)
Spain

If you wish, you can visit my blog www.cartasenmibuzon.blogspot.com, where you can see the pictures of all the letters that I have received from whole World.

Finally I would like to thank the attention given to this letter, and whether you can help me or not, I send my best wishes for peace, health and happiness for you, your family and all your dear beings.

Yours Sincerely